Question I'm not Sure Was Ever Answered

This forum topic dedicated to general information about the fantastic world of Tolkien (any questions, suggestions are welcome)

Moderators: x-sam-x, Aredhel

SutterKain

Question I'm not Sure Was Ever Answered

Post by SutterKain »

I was watching Fellowship with my wife tonight and a question popped into my head that neither one of us could answer, so I hope that someone here can...

Ok so we all know that so the LOTR cannon goes, Sauron created the rings in the first age. 3 for the elves, 7 for the dwarves, and 9 for man.

The 3 elves were able to resisted the corruption of the rings...

The 9 humans became ring wraiths, due to their corruption and greed...

...But what ever became of the dwarves????

Did they ever mention anywhere who the dwarves were that possesed the rings or what their fate may have been??

Anyone???

-SutterKain
LeftRanger2

Post by LeftRanger2 »

Some said They died or resisted it. i think some resisted it others died from trying. but thats only a mith my brother said
BoromirTvedt

Post by BoromirTvedt »

The dwarves resisted because of one thing. Greed. They loved gold and wealth that the rings pretty much made them useless to both Sauron and the free-peoples. Though some dwarves resisted and actually dwarves fought on both sides of the Last Alliance. Most of their rings were taken by dragons though and given back to Sauron.
lothlorienlady

Post by lothlorienlady »

no it was never mebtioned as to what happened to the dwarves in either th book series or the movies but there are several books by tolkien about middle earth that may have the answer to your question
Eomer1337

Post by Eomer1337 »

In the fellowship of the ring Gandalf explains to Frodo that Sauron recovered some of the rings from the dwarves, and the others the dwarves still have. At least im pretty sure
lothlorienlady

Post by lothlorienlady »

Eomer1337 wrote:In the fellowship of the ring Gandalf explains to Frodo that Sauron recovered some of the rings from the dwarves, and the others the dwarves still have. At least im pretty sure
where was that? i don't remeber reading about that. :?
Eomer1337

Post by Eomer1337 »

lothlorienlady wrote:
Eomer1337 wrote:In the fellowship of the ring Gandalf explains to Frodo that Sauron recovered some of the rings from the dwarves, and the others the dwarves still have. At least im pretty sure
where was that? i don't remeber reading about that. :?
in the beginning when hes explaining what the ring actually is
lothlorienlady

Post by lothlorienlady »

i must have somehow missed it.
Eomer1337

Post by Eomer1337 »

maybe
i could be wrong too though
lothlorienlady

Post by lothlorienlady »

nope i just looked it up ur right its in there
Eomer1337

Post by Eomer1337 »

nice
i love it when that happenes :D
x-sam-x

Post by x-sam-x »

why could the elves resist it then? and then couldnt legolas or one of the other elves taking the ring instead of froddo?
LOTRFan997

Post by LOTRFan997 »

x-sam-x wrote:why could the elves resist it then? and then couldnt legolas or one of the other elves taking the ring instead of froddo?

Well no... the three elves who got the rings resist it because they were more powerful then Legolas and other elves, Lady Galadriel,Lord Celeborn and Elrond (Elrond did have one of the rings right?) are wise and are one of the oldest elves. And BoromirTvedt is right, the Dwarves resisted it because of Greed. Hope that helps you!
x-sam-x

Post by x-sam-x »

oh yeh thanks just in the movie the elves said they would take it but then got into a massive rowe because the dwalfes would not let the elfs take it .. thats what i thought the reason was lol oh well
Nuada

Post by Nuada »

Sauron never touched the elven rings of power!!! He got them to make them thereselves! Gandelf has one of them, the fire ring Narya i think! it gives courage and bravery in people. Thats how he stopped the men of Gondor running in the battle for Gondor. Sauron made the one ring to try to control the others. Men were the easiest, Dwarves have a will of iron and the elves very powerful. If sauron ever did get the ring back he would eventually corrupt the wearers of the elven rings. Just takes more time. Just like he did when he got them to make the rings in the first place, Sauron only made the one ring but he showed the elves how to forge the other rings and gave them to the races of middle earth.