LOTR books help.

This forum topic dedicated to general information about the fantastic world of Tolkien (any questions, suggestions are welcome)

Moderators: x-sam-x, Aredhel

112joesam

LOTR books help.

Post by 112joesam »

Hi guys, i've just joined so i'm sorry if this is in the wrong place. But, i'm in massive need of help. I wanted to start buying some LOTR books, and i don't really know where to start. My friend recommended the Silmarillion, and i wanted to get that, but i don't really know whats included in it. The others i was looking at were:
Tales from the Perilous Realm: (Farmer Giles of Ham / The Adventures of Tom Bombadil / Leaf by Niggle / Smith of Wootton Major)
Unfinished Tales
The Children of Hurin
Morgoths Ring
and obviously The Silmarillion.

So if anyone has any recommendations or advice on what to pick, then i'll be really grateful thanks.

Cheers.
bigred

Post by bigred »

Hey, just wondered if you have the lotr books firs...if u do then the silmarillion is definately the next one to buy...if u dint have the lotr series, u should read the hobbit first...ive read the silmarillion alot...great read. :)
112joesam

Post by 112joesam »

I've got the 3 books (Fellowship, two towers, and return of the king) but i didnt know what other books to buy.
bigred

Post by bigred »

Cool, i just wondered...the Silmarillion should definately be your next book... :)
MastrLOTRELF

Post by MastrLOTRELF »

have you read the hobbit...if not you should it is very good!
bigred

Post by bigred »

Actually, i agree...if you've never read the hobbit u should read it first...then the silmarillion lol :)
Ronja

Post by Ronja »

i don´t like silmarillion, it is boooooring
112joesam

Post by 112joesam »

I've had mixed reviews about the simarillion, although i want to buy it regardless. But, are books like morgoths ring included in it. I've been told that it is?
bigred

Post by bigred »

112joesam wrote:I've had mixed reviews about the simarillion, although i want to buy it regardless. But, are books like morgoths ring included in it. I've been told that it is?
The silmarillion IS boring if u dont understand what its about...(RONJA) in sayin that, it covers all of history from Tolkiens version of the middle earth creation to most of the history of elves dwarves and men the history of the rings including a brief story of the LOTR and even a bit of history of what happens after the LOTR...it is
a superb story, if u have the patience to read it...
Ronja

Post by Ronja »

Silmarillion may be good in English, but i cant read it in Elnglish, its too hard and the Czech and Slovak versions are not very good
Peregrina_Took

Post by Peregrina_Took »

It's true, the Silmarilion is pretty hard reading, but if you're a serious fan, it's a must.
Ronja

Post by Ronja »

yeah, i think that too, but i´ll come back to it, when i´ll be better at english... i want to read it, and i´m looking forward to day, when i will be able to understand all meanings...
MastrLOTRELF

Post by MastrLOTRELF »

I AGREE THE SIMIRILLION...I THNK I SPELLED THAT RIGHT...I SOOOOOOOO BOARING!!!!!!!!!!
rcbecker1

Post by rcbecker1 »

You should read the Hobbit first.
Lotrs Second.
Then work your way through the Silmarilan.
Then get the Children of Hurin.
Then get the rest to fill in the gaps to finish the story.
:D