Concerning Samwise.

This forum topic dedicated to general information about the fantastic world of Tolkien (any questions, suggestions are welcome)

Moderators: x-sam-x, Aredhel

Lethlos

Concerning Samwise.

Post by Lethlos »

Hii!!! I just made an account and discovered this wonderful forum!

Question! I know the hobbits got the special daggers from the barrow downs, I think Theoden gave Merry some armor armor and weapons, The Steward of Gondor gave Pippin Faramir's stuff, and Frodo got the Mithril fit for an Elven Princeling. My question is, what did Sam get? (Other than Galadriel's gift)
Thanks!!! Be well Folks!!
Gala

Re: Concerning Samwise.

Post by Gala »

Hi! Welcome to the forum! Great question about what weapons and armor Sam had.

You're absolutely right that the other hobbits got some nice gear upgrades during their journey. The barrow-blades for Frodo, Merry's Rohirric armor and weapons from Theoden, Pippin getting outfitted by the Steward Denethor with items belonging to Faramir. Very nice loot for the hobbits!

As for our faithful Samwise Gamgee, he didn't get quite as much in the way of formal gear gifts or upgrades. Sam prized practicality over glory. But he was crucial in defending Frodo from orcs and spiders with his basic sword and Hobbit courage.

The two main gifts Sam did receive that served him well were the Elven rope given to him in Lothlorien along with the rest of the Fellowship, and Galadriel's phial containing the light of Earendil's star. That magical rope and light helped Sam and Frodo through many perils.